Автор Тема: iStock vector illustrations application: suggestions needed!  (Прочитано 51315 раз)

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
iStock vector illustrations application: suggestions needed!
« : Января 31, 2008, 11:44:04 pm »
I'm on my way to try the vector illustrations route on iStock for the third time now (test approval with three vec. illustrations). The first time I submitted t-shirt supersimple crap and I'm aware of that. The second time I reiterated the mistake again. The third time they rejected my first "real" microstock uploads with the "too much of this stuff" explanation (apparently no technical issues were found, so that's good).

These are the ones that got rejected (sorry for linking the 500px wide versions):

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8601421-illustration-with-a-central-aggressive-girl-in-blue-and-pink-colors-with-floral-and-grunge-design.html

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8600920-grunge-illustration-of-a-tree-silhouette-with-gradient-colors-on-a-winter-or-autumn-theme-raster.html

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8600917-abstract-grunge-illustration-with-raw-lower-low-saturation-strokes-and-central-floral-mushroom.html

I'm well aware today (two weeks after starting with AI) that these illustrations might be "fairly ok", but I'm not content with them anymore. I can see my eyes and technique regarding vector illustrations is constantly developing day by day (as time permits). I know these three resemble a very generic and popular style that is on top of that not executed as it should be. That's probably the reason why they rejected them (well, even if I've seen a lot worse vectors on iStock to say the truth).

One thing should be clear: I'm not satisfied with those and I'd like to submit these for my next test. Tell me what you think. Are they going to be approved?

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-9002620-vector-illustration-of-a-gradient-mesh-planet-in-the-corner-with-modern-floral-spirals-and-lined.html

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8852248-background-vector-illustration-with-detailed-speakers-and-wavy-lined-design-elements-copy-space.html

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=8661643

I've chosen three different styles this time (even if I guess I might have better vector illustrations in the Shutterstock portfolio (or on their way to being accepted): I don't have a lot of them, but the number is growing slowly, but constantly). I know they're extremely picky on the approval test and I'd really like to at least try vectors on iStock (since my photographic career there has a grudgy valence like no other (and you pgf-ers know what I'm talking about));)

Do you think they'd pass?

p.s.: I'm asking especially you, NM. You're the "vector man", please tell me what you think.
p.p.s.: Oh and yeah: here's the link to my SS vector portfolio (http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?searchterm=&anyorall=all&search_cat=&search_group=vectors&orient=all&photographer_name=domen+colja&searchtermx=&color=) in case you guys have some spare time to check out what else could be enrolled in the "threesome" fight I'm about to have at iStock;)

Thanks in advance to everybody!

Syates

• Гость
Re: iStock vector illustrations application: suggestions needed!
« Ответ #1 : Января 31, 2008, 11:51:53 pm »
I can't comment on the vectors as such, but what I think that helped me getting approved as istock contributor for photos was to but in the comment field the WHY of my images. Along the lines of "I choose xyz style to give emphasis to xyz concept" As far as I understand IStock (hahaha)  they look as much for "understanding of the market" as for quality. Just my two cents and btw, I love your expressions of "us pgf-ers" Really made my day! SY

Оффлайн nicemonkey

• Просмотр профиля
    • Nicemonkey
« Ответ #2 : Февраля 01, 2008, 12:24:36 am »
Vector submissions to istock....I would start by banging your head against something really hard because that is my experience of trying to get into istock! I have tried on four different occasions! I am nearly there now (just one more to be approved) but I have to wait 3 months before I can try again!

The funny thing is I got accepted on my first try with my photos which with a short browse of my portfolio you will realise that I am not the best photographer in the world!

So what I am saying is...dont ask me!
Shutterstock Dreamstime [url=http://www.luckyoliver.com/portfolio/Nice

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #3 : Февраля 01, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
Th
Vector submissions to istock....I would start by banging your head against something really hard because that is my experience of trying to get into istock! I have tried on four different occasions! I am nearly there now (just one more to be approved) but I have to wait 3 months before I can try again!

The funny thing is I got accepted on my first try with my photos which with a short browse of my portfolio you will realise that I am not the best photographer in the world!

So what I am saying is...dont ask me!

They rejected you NM? OMG! I will never dare to try it then! SY

Оффлайн nicemonkey

• Просмотр профиля
    • Nicemonkey
« Ответ #4 : Февраля 01, 2008, 12:51:23 am »
They have very specific ideas of what they want. If you look at the most popular list and check out the highest rated on the left, that seems to be the kind of thing they are after. I find it really odd because if you search for illustrations the and most popular none of this kind of illustrations appear in the list.

I don't know if they just want you to prove that you can draw before they let you upload more stock related images or they have just tightened up what they are accepting.

Or maybe I am not the vector god that I thought I was! LOL  ;D

Оффлайн nicemonkey

• Просмотр профиля
    • Nicemonkey
« Ответ #5 : Февраля 01, 2008, 01:10:10 pm »
Whoo Domencolja, who needs istock, I see the image above 9002620 is streaking up the shutterstock Illustration list. I will have to browse your portfolio for some "inspiration"!  :o

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
« Ответ #6 : Февраля 01, 2008, 01:21:06 pm »
Damn, I'm going to have a laugh then... again;) I've publicly dissed iStock so many times that I almost feel sorry for my opinions. After this rejection (that's certainly going to come if they rejected NM), I'm gonna start a club of iStock haters, won't I?;) Care to join?;))

p.s.: I've heard about the "they want to see if you know how to draw" argument in their forums. And they really seem to have changed their "tastes", apparently so. Ahh...

Thanks for your opinions, guys! Sybille, I'll try writing my a++ off in the comment box, but I doubt it will help;) NM, what about sumitting jpeg version of Illustrations to the photo section? Any experiences? I've never tried to it, but I know for a FACT they dislike my iStock-claimed "overfiltered" photos and montages.

Btw, the first image of the three proposals for this approval test I pasted in earlier (the blue background with spiral swirls in on the right) got 27 downloads yesterday. Speak about "we don't need this image at this time" rationales or even worse "low sale potential" ones;/

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
« Ответ #7 : Февраля 01, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
;)) Thanks, NM. But don't browse through my portfolio. You won't find inspiration there;))

p.s.: But I will keep the hard work going, damn sure I will;)
p.p.s.: Btw, how's your superseller going? I was just checking out the illustrations category yesterday and saw a few more images of yours there. Congrats, man!;)

Оффлайн nicemonkey

• Просмотр профиля
    • Nicemonkey
« Ответ #8 : Февраля 01, 2008, 01:32:46 pm »
I tried uploading jpeg versions of my illustrations and they told me to get full use out of the files they should be supplied as .eps files. Obviously then I applied and they rejected me  >:(

I don't mind the fact that they only want people that can draw. They are obviously in a strong position and can dictate what they want to accept. I guess I will have to study what they like and panda to their needs! istock bring in a large percentage of peoples money swapping between No1 and 2 position I feel I am losing out alot by not being on there!

P.S. My best seller has dropped to about 10-15 a day but I have a whole hungry pack of images biting at its heels ready to take its crown!

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
« Ответ #9 : Февраля 01, 2008, 02:28:40 pm »
We share the same feeling. Mine is obviously still crying for it's mum's breasts, not old enough to stand on it's own feet, but it is simple calculations that tell me that by not being on iStock chunks off a lot of money from my work. Shutterstock is great, awesome stuff (and I'm ultrahappy to have started to diversify my port with vectors alongside the flash photography stuff and scenics), but iStock draws in, as you said, so much money, damn.

You know I don't like iStock because of their relationship to submitters (and their market strategy that abuses their market position status), but I'm a "earn a better living" being as we all are and losing money really doesn't sound that much positive to me. One thing is clear: if image sell on every microstock agency there is, they'd sell on iStock as well. These being refused for "statistical" reasons doesn't feel ok to me, but that might be just my lone personal opinion (and therefore not shared with people in my position).

p.s.: 15 downloads daily for an "old" image is superb. We all know how fast they "wear off", the images, on Shutterstock. But I'm proud I get there (and I'm sure you're even more for yourself) at all. The competition is fierce and the background category is truly very crowded.
p.p.s.: I'll try posting my test approval examples on iStock and see what they tell me. I'm very curious of the outcome.

Оффлайн khz

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #10 : Февраля 01, 2008, 09:53:50 pm »
i have been ul'ing images to istock for a long time now and i never send test images for vector submission, it was always open for old contributors. I have some vector ul's there, and they do better than other sites with a big margin,
If i can have some vectors there, you guys definetaly should be.
also i didnt know 3 months rule for test vector applications :S

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
« Ответ #11 : Февраля 01, 2008, 10:17:43 pm »
I've started a thread on the iStock forums and basically what they're saying is that no, I won't get approved: unless I show that I know how to draw.

p.s.: I didn't know vector submissions didn't have an approval test before. That's interesting, khz. I'm aware that the "arsenal" of available vectors grew big on iStock, I completely understand and accept that, but so it did on other microstock sites as well, didn't it? So their choice to limit new submitters to only those that "know how to draw" (and this notion is as subjective as it gets and completely debatable - we all know the art of drawing isn't limited to pen and brush, is it?) is questionable. At least to me. But again: this might be just my opinion and I always speak my mind and "offer the cheek" if I find myself wrong.

But I've made my decision: I'll try creating some specific images for iStock and then if/when I get approved, I'll upload what sells most: we all know it is not vector "drawings" (literally as in "drawn by hand") but design elements such as backgrounds or stylish objects. And if this means attending the test a little later, shit, I'll apply later. Don't really want to wait three months...

... speaking of which: I think that the waiting time after failing the test gets longer and longer. I failed it three times and have to wait one month after the third slip. NM mentions that he failed four times (still can't understand how such a master isn't accepted on iStock;/) and he has to wait 3 months for the fifth attempt.

(but it is ironic, isn't it?;)) You fail the attempt and you have to wait THREE MONTHS. Picture that: for a couple of minutes of their review time they knock you off for THREE MONTHS;) Three months for three f. vector illustrations. Think about how much money could someone earn in three months (and not only the submitter - iStock as well, of course).

Оффлайн nicemonkey

• Просмотр профиля
    • Nicemonkey
« Ответ #12 : Февраля 01, 2008, 10:27:04 pm »
I just checked and I can apply again in...just ...73 day!

I hope there is a big pot of gold waiting for me if/once I get in after all this effort.  ;D

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #13 : Февраля 01, 2008, 10:39:40 pm »
I just checked and I can apply again in...just ...73 day!

I hope there is a big pot of gold waiting for me if/once I get in after all this effort.  ;D

Remember, in 73 days Istock may have a new owner ;-) SY

Оффлайн domencolja

• Просмотр профиля
    • Domen Colja's blogspot
« Ответ #14 : Февраля 02, 2008, 12:42:45 am »
;)) One of these days I'm going to dream of a disappearing iStock and it's buyers flooding every other microstock agency I'm posting to;)

p.s.: 3 months sounds like a homicidal case to me;)
p.p.s.: Btw, NM, could you point out to some of the examples of refused and accepted images of yours at the Approval Hellclub "down there" at iStock? I'd really like to see what they deemed "unmarketable".