Автор Тема: The effects stock photography is having on graphic design  (Прочитано 7110 раз)

Оффлайн galastock

• Просмотр профиля
The effects stock photography is having on graphic design
« : Января 19, 2008, 07:08:39 pm »
Hi,
I am doing a study in to the effects of stock photography on the graphic design industry, mainly regarding generic imagery found on stock sites being used to produce design work, would be so helpful if anyone could help to answer both or either of these questions

Where do you think the future of stock photography is heading in regards to new technology, and popularity with designers?

Do you think that Stock photography is a good or bad influence on a) Graphic Design and b) Photography as an art form?

Thanks !! O

Оффлайн Sundance

• Просмотр профиля
Re: The effects stock photography is having on graphic design
« Ответ #1 : Января 20, 2008, 11:13:47 pm »
Question 1.

Well, working in advertising business for 6 years, I should say stock photography is no news at all for this industry. All designers have their CD collections or stock site accounts, otherwise they could not produce anything of value. So I think Stock photography and microstock vectors are simply co-exist side by side with the advertising industry. Advertising is a much broader and bigger market and it feeds microstocks.

Question 2.
a) In terms of graphic design  - microstocks are the skeleton in designer's closet. Microstock give designers very good, (sometimes genius) vectors in seconds for a such a small price! Well it helps and it makes them lazy.

b) I've no idea about photo stocks influence on photography as an art, actually. Art photography is sold via posters, exhibitions, books, sometimes via stock agencies why not? Stock photography is sold solely via internet stock agencies. There is a proverb about that - "an amateur thinks of art, a professional thinks of money"  ;D
May be the best microstock masters are doing fine art when they work for stocks, but, in my opinion, these two fields (art and stocks) are too different, and serve for too different needs of society.

Syates

• Гость
Re: The effects stock photography is having on graphic design
« Ответ #2 : Января 22, 2008, 01:27:28 pm »
Just out of curiosity: Do you have anything to do with the, late, stock site Galastock or is it a mere coincidence? SY