Автор Тема: Creative & Technical Enthusiasm ~ Staying Motivated  (Прочитано 7735 раз)

Оффлайн Susan

• Просмотр профиля
Creative & Technical Enthusiasm ~ Staying Motivated
« : Декабря 03, 2007, 10:07:37 pm »
How about a thread with tips on Staying Motivated and Improving Skills.  I am sure we all approach the subject differently and have a wealth of information that we could share to inspire each other.

Here are a few of mine:

Creative & Technical Enthusiasm ~ Staying Motivated

1. Read technical photography books

One of the best ways to improve your technical skills is by reading books.   Visit Amazon.com, search for a book on a particular photographic topic you wish to learn, and check the reviews and ratings.  Look for books with at least 4 out of 5 stars. Take advantage of Amazon’s browsing features to quickly find the best books in any field.

Take your time previewing books in the bookstore or online, especially if cost is a concern.  If you can’t understand the first chapter, don’t waste your money.

2. Read online tutorials and listen to or watch podcasts

My favorite way of finding online tutorials is to use Google.  If I need a CSS3 tutorial, I’ll search on CSS3 tutorial.  I usually find something halfway decent in the top 5 results this way. 

3. Hang out with like minded photographic geeks

Along time ago I found out that if I followed the very best skier on the slope some of his skill rubbed off on me. If you spend enough time with people of passion, some of their knowledge will rub off on you.  Even geeks learn from other geeks, but if you aren’t much of a photographic geek yourself, a great way to accelerate the development of your technical skills is to join a local photographic club or users group.  Contact one of them and attend a meeting as a guest to see if you like it.

4. Subscribe to photographic magazines or websites

5. Take classes

If group learning is your thing, look for college extension courses and other classroom and workshop offerings in your area.  Periodically I get catalogs in the mail from local colleges.  I am currently enrolled in a lighting class and plan to continue next semester. The local colleges offer class at a very small cost and many of them have full studios.

6. Set Goals

It is easier to stay motivated when you feel like you’ve accomplished something, but how can you know when you succeed if you never set a goal? Give yourself something to achieve.

7. Keep working on your weak areas
Never give up on projects or problems. Put them aside for a while, but always come back to solve them in the end, even if it’s only developing a theory for solving them in the not so distant future. Solving these problems will build your confidence, your knowledge, and eventually your portfolio.

8. Collect the right equipment and tools

Being creative is a lot easier if you have the right tools; don’t make it harder for yourself by using inferior (or just plain wrong) tools. Explore your options, talk to other photographers and find the tools that allow you to create what you want to create, and get the best ones you can afford.

Оффлайн dolgachov

• Administrator
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Syda Productions
Re: Creative & Technical Enthusiasm ~ Staying Motivated
« Ответ #1 : Декабря 16, 2007, 01:58:05 pm »
9. enjoy the best works of your colleagues.

i'm always buying a books with works of my famous colleagues. starting from Helmut Newton and going further to wherever your personal taste leads you. every time i see something worthy somewhere i just know i must take a look and probably buy it. we are what we eat.

i also keep a track of things top performers do in magazines. last year Steven Meisel made some awesome stuff for italian VOGUE, for example. i don't undrestand italian that much but i always buy it when i see Meisel made something great again. not all the things he does are inspiring for me, wich is natural, we are different. still he's great and some of his works really make me happy. like his editorial "Supermods enter rehab". excellent stuff. i bought the magazine with this editorial twice actually. first one got ruined and i felt sad asbout it - it was impossible to buy it again, next issue was already in sale. then i've noticed it in some restaurant and negotiated the way to buy it there ;]

i've found a link to this editorial, so you can check it if you want. looks much better on paper though.

http://fashionbox.17.forumer.com/a/supermods-enter-rehab-many-models-by-steven-meisel-xxx_post908.html

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #2 : Декабря 19, 2007, 01:34:16 am »
10. Restrict yourself!

Sometimes when I go out with the camera I take only one lens with me and restrict myself either on technique or subject matter like for example taking the "plastic fantastic" for a walk shooting only at f1.8 or shooting only blue things or liveless things or only motion... Restricting myself for a time to one subject matter or technique doesn't necessarily produce stockworthy images, but it slows me down and motivates me to explore things on a deeper level. SY

Оффлайн Clivia

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #3 : Декабря 19, 2007, 11:46:38 am »
I use Stumbleupon for inspiration. I set my preferences to find photography and artistic images only. I have come across some wonderful pictures and artists that I would never have heard of otherwise. Their work can set a spark to generate new ideas. Its a great way to pass a couple of hours when you are too tired to do much else!
My favorites file is full of great galleries and artistic sites.

Оффлайн dolgachov

• Administrator
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Syda Productions
« Ответ #4 : Декабря 19, 2007, 08:29:30 pm »
we are what we eat, as i mentioned above. ;]

Оффлайн steve-oh

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #5 : Декабря 20, 2007, 12:16:43 am »
I think anything to stimulate the senses and offer something new. Think beyond visual media. For instance, try a new food or listen to some different music.

-Steve

Оффлайн Susan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #6 : Декабря 30, 2007, 10:08:19 pm »
I should be in good shape then... I have collected aprox 150 books regarding photography and I start each day researching some aspect of the field that I am either interested in or... LOL I am in dire need of perfecting errr improving.

Clivia, I did not know about Stumbleupon... what a fun tool for inspiration when you need to relax.

Research is my thing... however I need help getting in the "into action mode"

Perfectionism in my life is somewhat like an anchor... I am tired of dragging it around and intend this New Year to cast it off and let my sails free.

Perfection Is The Enemy Of Excellence... or even good!

we are what we eat, as i mentioned above. ;]

« Последнее редактирование: Декабря 30, 2007, 10:11:41 pm от Susan »

Оффлайн Susan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #7 : Января 02, 2008, 07:04:45 am »
Hmmm this looks interesting. Have any of you tried shooting tethered to a portable DVD player.  Seems easier to pack into a kit for travel than a larger laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQmWPAcaKU

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #8 : Января 07, 2008, 03:04:50 pm »
Hmmm this looks interesting. Have any of you tried shooting tethered to a portable DVD player.  Seems easier to pack into a kit for travel than a larger laptop.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQmWPAcaKU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQmWPAcaKU</a>

I changed the link a bit to make it easier to watch!  ;D SY