Автор Тема: Is being a submitter and reviewer at the same time an interest conflict?  (Прочитано 16417 раз)

Syates

• Гость
I heard some opinions like reviewers shouldn't be submitters to avoid conflicts of interest, what is your opinion? I think it is more beneficial, I can't imagine reviewing for a site I have never submitted to, SY

PS As some of you know I review for Lucky Oliver ;-)

Оффлайн Elnur

• Просмотр профиля
    • My microstock blog
Re: Is being a submitter and reviewer at the same time an interest conflict?
« Ответ #1 : Ноября 28, 2007, 11:32:03 pm »
I raised this topic on the mailing list, and I strongly believe it does create confict of interest. I'm sure most of inspectors/submitters are honest folks, but then there are others.
On various forums, I have seen people quoting very absurd rejections. So, it is either slapdash work by inspectors, or deliberate attempt to suppress competition. Many rejections are subjective, so if inspector is in doubt, there are 100% chance your photo which may compete with inspector's bestseller will be rejected.

The best resolution of the confict, is to avoid it.

Оффлайн Clivia

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #2 : Ноября 28, 2007, 11:39:11 pm »
I had a spell about eighteen months ago when my illustrations were being rejected on a certain site, with the 'these are not stock' rejection. Within a few days of each rejection a VERY similar illustration was accepted on the site.
I had my suspicions, but could not prove that a reviewer was piching my ideas. I emailed the site with examples and asked if they would investigate, and the rejections stopped! They never confirmed it though, they never even replied to my email.
So, yes, there can be a conflict of interests. I strongly think that subbmitters should not also be reviewers. They should be seen to be unbiased.

Оффлайн Forgiss

• Просмотр профиля
    • Shoots Imaging
« Ответ #3 : Ноября 29, 2007, 12:20:50 pm »
Might be... just depends on the reviewer... more or less like all things in life.

I personally think that it's very difficult to review images if you are not a photographer. Also, how do you judge sellability if you are not in the industry? maybe an image buyer can review, but would they not review more on emotional connection in the image than technical quality?

Where do you think statement of " Those who can, Do. Those who can't, Teach" came from? It's the same in every industry.

A Good reviewer is very hard to find.

Also, I think if you review for somebody like SS, it's difficult to steal ideas, because you are just too busy trying to get through your queue! but maybe less so on the smaller sites... dunno

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #4 : Ноября 29, 2007, 01:58:52 pm »
Also, I think if you review for somebody like SS, it's difficult to steal ideas, because you are just too busy trying to get through your queue! but maybe less so on the smaller sites... dunno

Some on a smaller site like LO, on a day I dedicate to reviewing, I do easily 1000+ images, no time to "steal", also don't forget their is always some form of supervision of the reviewer! SY

Оффлайн Forgiss

• Просмотр профиля
    • Shoots Imaging
« Ответ #5 : Ноября 29, 2007, 03:19:12 pm »

Some on a smaller site like LO, on a day I dedicate to reviewing, I do easily 1000+ images, no time to "steal", also don't forget their is always some form of supervision of the reviewer! SY

Yep... always somebody that looks over the shoulder...

I had a series of stupid rejections at IS in the early part of the year... complained after about 3 months of about 3% acceptance ratio, and all of a sudden jumped to a 80 or 90% acceptance (on the following batches that is). Also no response from my query...

Either way... I met an Istock Reviewer on our travels and asked him whether they do not get frustrated seeing so many files on a day (maybe a little bit of Self doubtabout your own quality?) and he said that no, that is where he gets his shooting ideas from... Which I though is a bit lame...

... but again... like so many times mentioned before, I think you get good reviewers that are honourable and trustworthy, and you get a few bad apples... like any other industry.

I know of at least two reviewers that stopped reviewing because they said the review process influenced their own work, and they did not feel comfortable about it...

Оффлайн Susan

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #6 : Ноября 29, 2007, 11:44:34 pm »
Really people are people and you have a few bad apples in any area.  I think that it is unfortunate that people borrow others ideas in any arena.  And I agree with Sean... using reviewing to build your shot list is a bit lame.

However I do think looking at many excellent, good and bad images can help a photographer develop a eye for good composition, lighting etc.  And you do not have to be a reviewer to look at a good many images.

I have had images rejected that should not have been... however I have not complained.  Maybe it is something I should be more proactive about.  I had a spell at one site, where I was wondering what I had done to offend someone... seems to have resolved lately.
« Последнее редактирование: Ноября 29, 2007, 11:48:14 pm от Susan »

Оффлайн kourafas5

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #7 : Ноября 30, 2007, 04:36:24 pm »
I think the depends on the reveiwer. You go through so many images, and for me, If I see a neat idea I forget it by the time I am done reviewing!
If anything I am way more selective with what I submit.

Syates

• Гость
« Ответ #8 : Ноября 30, 2007, 04:40:04 pm »

That is my current problem at the moment! If you are fortunate enough to see the images of world class photographers at 100% you can get quite depressed about the fact how less perfect your own images are! SY

Оффлайн kourafas5

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #9 : Ноября 30, 2007, 05:25:01 pm »

That is my current problem at the moment! If you are fortunate enough to see the images of world class photographers at 100% you can get quite depressed about the fact how less perfect your own images are! SY
Haha..well that is true too! it is very humbleing..(is that a word?)

Оффлайн Forgiss

• Просмотр профиля
    • Shoots Imaging
« Ответ #10 : Ноября 30, 2007, 05:35:17 pm »
..very humbleing..(is that a word?)

...it is now!

Оффлайн josh_crestock

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #11 : Ноября 30, 2007, 05:47:31 pm »

Crestock recently began a program of hiring submitters as reviewers/inspectors. It has been a total pleasure so far, start to finish. These guys bring with them such a wealth of knowledge and experience that puts them in really good stead to make excellent reviewers.

We were very apprehensive in beginning this program, only selecting submitters who had a proven track record of both quality submissions and good community involvement. It was important to really get to know them on a personal level before employing them too, spending a couple of hours talking over the phone.

Their inspections are closely monitored both for consistency and to ensure that no bias comes into their inspections. I've not noticed any bias at all, or at least not in a bad way. I've noticed that they all have a really positive approach to helping photographers and getting as much exposure for the pictures that deserve it.

It was interesting that most of them gave learning more about photography and viewing pictures for inspiration as their motivation for the position. They've all mentioned now that idea is long forgotten. If you want inspiration you won't sit thru up to a thousand very mixed quality images to get inspiration. Its much easier and much much more inspiring to source that from other areas.

Оффлайн steve-oh

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #12 : Ноября 30, 2007, 06:06:43 pm »
We've found that once they become reviewers they really have little time for submitting anymore, and they usually know this going into the job.

I do think, however, the best reviewers come from the contributor community.