Автор Тема: Goal Setting in Microstock  (Прочитано 11495 раз)

Оффлайн DanPadavona

• Просмотр профиля
Goal Setting in Microstock
« : Февраля 28, 2008, 02:01:34 pm »
This is my first post to this fine forum.  I certainly want to thank Lev for sharing so much information for others to benefit from.  I recognize a lot of names here from microstock boards.  My username is usually "DanP68," and sometimes simply "DJP".  It's good to see a lot of familiar faces.

I've been working toward a goal of 50 downloads in 1 month at Dreamstime.  I hadn't taken anything but casual snapshots before last summer, so this is a challenging goal for me.  I've used goal setting throughout my life, whether it be career related, fitness related, or anything else.  It works if you work it.  So now I am using it to become a successful microstock artist.

You can find my Dreamstime Blog on Goal Setting at: http://blog.dreamstime.com/2007/12/25/goal-setting-for-results_art25095.

I've increased my production and my Dreamstime goal is actually within sight, but my results are still very pedestrian. I need to create much better, more relevant work. And I humbly ask whomever is willing to participate, to help me get there.

In trying to determine a measurable indicator of success, I decided to review my individual image sales at Shutterstock.  The most downloads I have had in the initial month at Shutterstock from 1 image is a mere 50, and that was a seasonal image apparently uploaded when demand was high. A "successful" image for my portfolio generally sells 25 to 35 times in the first month at Shutterstock.

So I settled upon "75 downloads" for one image in the first month at Shutterstock as a challenge for me.  But I would like some feedback first before I set anything in stone.  Am I aiming too high, or too low?  I've grown my total sales to approximately 240-300 per month at Shutterstock, with a BME of 361.

In order to get this many downloads from image, it would have to be relevant, eye catching, and generally much stronger than my previous work. The idea I had was to create a set of images and offer them up to the board for critique, with my goal in mind.  Would anyone be willing to help me with my progress, or provide a little coaching?   8)
DanP68, DJP, Djp68

Оффлайн Sundance

• Просмотр профиля
Re: Goal Setting in Microstock
« Ответ #1 : Февраля 28, 2008, 02:29:50 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Some time before I formulated for my russian forum colleague my microstock goal setting stratery, its like this:

1. Find subjects  of photography you like the most.

2. Search for best selling images and find what kinds of them are most corresponding with your p.1

3. Set up schedule for two things: a. Photography sessions when, where and how often  b. Processing images schedule and minimum limit for a certain period of time.

4. Test this strategy. Having some results - repeat p.1-p.3

5. Do only things that drive you, that make you feel comfortable and don't force yourself (this point i'm just adding now? but i think it's the most important)

6. Enjoy good results.  :headbang:

Оффлайн dolgachov

• Administrator
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Syda Productions
« Ответ #2 : Февраля 28, 2008, 03:29:59 pm »
Dan, welcome.

why did you chose Dreamstime as success indicator? it's not nearly market leader for majority.

did you read my "Microstock ABC" btw?

Оффлайн DanPadavona

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #3 : Февраля 28, 2008, 05:45:09 pm »
Oh yes, I indeed read ABC.  Thank you for providing it Lev.

I chose Dreamstime for my first goal because it was my first microstock agency, and because I have a good relationship with Serban/Achilles.  They are #3 for me in earnings, slightly ahead of Fotolia. 

Actually I did not choose Dreamstime as a pure success indicator, because I acknowledge volume is too low to draw a fast conclusion.  I wanted to increase my downloads at a site I love, plain and simple.  The new Shutterstock goal is a true success indicator.

I decided it was time to set a goal for Shutterstock because I consider them to be the industry leader.  Most important, I think they are the #1 "Proving Ground."  Images get a fair shake, and good images always have a strong chance of being instant successes.  Due the volume differential between SS and everyone else, they are a wonderful laboratory for testing out ideas and finding out where one stands skill-wise.

Most of my work has been done either outside, or shooting with window light.  To be a serious contributor, I believe it was time for me to step up to a strobe kit.  I ordered a 1220 series Flashpoint kit from Adorama this morning.  Within days I will be able to work on my lighting skills, which everyone seems to agree is by far the most important part of the equation.
« Последнее редактирование: Февраля 28, 2008, 05:48:58 pm от DanPadavona »
DanP68, DJP, Djp68

Оффлайн dolgachov

• Administrator
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Syda Productions
« Ответ #4 : Февраля 28, 2008, 06:22:15 pm »
do you contribute to istock, stockxpert and fotolia?

http://dolgachov.com/sites/fotolia.html
http://dolgachov.com/sites/stockxpert.html
http://dolgachov.com/sites/istock.html

they are all more than worthy to be in.

Оффлайн DanPadavona

• Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #5 : Февраля 28, 2008, 07:33:36 pm »
Yes.  Istock, Shutterstock, Dreamstime, Fotolia, StockXpert, BigStockPhoto, and 123RF.  All provide monthly income for me.

Also testing out the waters at Lucky Oliver and FeaturePics, but no luck whatsoever.
DanP68, DJP, Djp68

Оффлайн dolgachov

• Administrator
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Syda Productions
« Ответ #6 : Февраля 28, 2008, 08:31:35 pm »
LO experiencing hard times now

i do not contribute to FeaturePics, so i can't share any info about it.

welcome once more, stay here, call your friends, let's keep sharing our experiences here.